Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mean Guy's General Tso's Chicken


For my very first post, I thought I should post something Heath and I are both crazy about. We love Chinese food, and we go out and eat it whenever we can. Of course P.F. Chang's is one of our favorite places to go. They have their own version of General Tso's called Chang's Spicy Chicken. It is one of two dishes we order there, and it is delicious, but let's face it- eating out is expensive! So, I searched away until I found what I thought would be a good homemade version. I found it here at Recipezaar. I have to admit I did not cook this myself. This is Heath's specialty, and it will continue to be because...well...it's just better when someone else makes it. Right? We have made it quite a few times (served every time with white rice), and I couldn't even guess how many more times there will be. We always make something different for the boys whenever we have this because it is just too spicy for them. We always joke and say that we have burned up our taste buds, because the heat of the dish never phases us. Oh well, burn away..it is delicious!

Ingredients:
1 lb. chicken thigh, boned and cubed (we use boneless skinless breasts)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. cornstarch, plus
2 tsp. cornstarch
5 dried chili pods
1 1/2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. rice wine (we use cooking sherry)
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
Directions:
1.) In a large bowl, thoroughly blend the 1/2 cup cornstarch and the eggs; add the chicken and toss to coat.
2.) If the mixture is too thick, add some vegetable oil to separate the pieces.
3.) In a small bowl, prepare the sauce mixture by combining the 2 tsp. cornstarch with the wine, vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce.
4.) First-Stage Frying: Heat 1-2 inches of peanut oil (we use vegetable) in a wok to medium-high heat (350-400).
5.) Fry the chicken in small batches, just long enough to cook the chicken through.
6.) Remove the chicken to absorbent paper and allow to stand (this step can be performed well in advance, along with the sauce mixture, with both refrigerated).
7.) Second-Stage Frying: Leave a tablespoon or two of oil in the wok.
8.) Add the pepper pods to the oil and stir-fry briefly, awakening the aroma but not burning them.
9.) Return the chicken to the wok and stir-fry until the pieces are crispy brown.
10.) The General's Favorite Sauce: Add the sauce mixture to the wok, tossing over the heat until the sauce caramelizes into a glaze (1-2 minutes).
11.) Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. This looks too yummy! I hope to make this for my hubby and I. Now I need to figure out how to make shrimp fried rice for the kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete